I had tried to use IntenseDebate and Disqus with this blog. I found the layout of IntenseDebate is outdated. Automattic did not update this project for a long time. It is a maintained state without new development. For Disqus, it had two problems. Looks like it may display Ads for the free plan. Also the long loading time for a webpage could be a problem. Below is a table that displayed the amount of data …
In my previous post, I mentioned about MeiliSearch. Let's have a short article on how to integrate it with my theme.
Edit: This post was edited for MeiliSearch version 0.13.
Part I: MeiliSearch
Steps for setting up Rust
- Get a release binary from the official web site
- Start up the …
Introduction to Pelican
There are lots of static site generators (SSG) available in the market. When it comes to Python based SSG, Pelican is the most popular one.
Here is my thoughts on Pelican:
- Pelican is written in Python and is easy to use.
- Pelican uses Jinja2 as the template language or macro. Which is not bad because Ansible templates is also using Jinja2. Learning Jinja2 is beneficial beneficial on using both products.
- If you are a data scientist, you could integrate …
Making changes to the Bootstrap 4 theme
In the previous article, I mentioned the blog was migrated to use Bootstrap 4. Here are some new changes:
- Removed Font Awesome and use Feather Icons instead. But the icon for Reddit is missing in Feather Icons.
- Removed the need of the CSS from the Slate theme. Now I only need to use the original bootstrap.min.css and load my own nero.css file.
- Fixed the Scroll Spy, it is now working for articles …
Migrating my blog to use Bootstrap 4
In the previous article, I mentioned the blog was migrated to Pelican. After that I customized it and add some new features. I found Bootstrap 3 was released for a few years and there would be no update. I tried to update the theme to Bootstrap 4.5. Let's talk about what is the lesson learned.
First of all, I am not a web developer. Creating or customizing the small themes make me learn a …
From WordPress to Pelican
My blog was migrated from WordPress to Pelican. I found WordPress is very easy to use at the beginning. Pelican is a static site generator (aka SSG). I tested Pelican and like it. It is small and responsive.
SSG had a major advantage on simplicity over WordPress or other Server Side Rendered (SSR) systems. You don't need to patch or upgrade the WordPress or the SSR systems. The static web pages generated by SSG are served directly by …